February 2020 LIVE PODCAST #10


FEBRUARY 2020 LIVE PODCAST #10
with very special guests : Grooverider, Terry Stone, Aloe Blacc, Karen Harding, Todd Terry, DJ RAP, The Jungle Drummer Live, Dr Noki & The Don't Flop Battle rap takeover. IN ORDER OF APPEARANCE: Jungle Drummer Live (02:12) Aloe Blacc, singer and platinum selling artist (05:10) Grooverider, Drum&Bass Pioneer (10:04) Terry Stone, actor (20:34) NOKI Street art/fashion designer (31:50 DJ Todd Terry , House music Pioneer (37:45) Karen Harding , Singer & Songwriter (41:03) Melvin Odoom, radio and TV celeb (50:39) DJ Rap, Drum&Bass Pioneer (56:18) Dont Flop rap battle takeover Live (1:02:00) Co. Hosted By SJ Whitely & Mista Normski. Livestream/Vision mixer/direction's: Graham Smith of Bandsteam Live. Camera : Joe K Research & Liaison: Nat King Sound Engineer: Rich Mann Assistants: Rosie Young, Matthew Roberts & Amelia Meany. Producers: Tom Jackson & Killa Kela / Lee Potter
Support the Killa Kela Podcast by being a Podcast Patreon and receiving a mass of exclusives and bonus content. https://www.patreon.com/killakelapodcast

KILLA KELA
February 2020 LIVE PODCAST #10 (TRANSCRIPT)
KILLA KELA: Good evening ladies and gentlemen, this is a Killa Kela Podcast live show, what an absolute pleasure, ooh we got some feedback we like that listen this feedback. Make some noise ladies and gentlemen, make some noise. As, as mentioned, as mentioned this is a Killa Kela podcast live show live and direct central London, under as central as you need to be. We got a whole heap of VIP guests inside the place, we got competitions and more. What I want you to do, right now though is, I want you to share exactly what's going on, exactly what you're watching, it's including you lot in the audience if you are watching on the outside, looking in, please share this, tell a friend to, tell a friend all across Facebook and beyond. we have competitions and more let's see who's on today G.

On tonight's Killa Kela podcast live show Drum ‘N Bass royalty in the form of DJ Grooverider is inside the house, on half of the dynamics duo Fabio and Grooverider. We gonna be talking about their legacy food clubland to radio land to culture to the world. Let's open the doors to jungle and clubland history further with actor, author Club promoter and more. We're here to chat about his new doc United Nations climbing up the charts. We're gonna get deep into the jungle origins. Throwing it back into the world of the vocalists, old house singer and chart topper Karen Harding is jumping into the hot seat with the release of a new single Rely, we’re talking dance music song writing performing live and more, but the house ride doesn’t stop there. We're in LA with Avicii collaborator and hip-hop vocalist Aloe Blacc, showing us around Amoeba Records. We also have the legendary house DJ Todd Terry who's going to be sharing with us as top 10 records of all time. We go on location with fashion and street art mashup king the Dr. Noki, while SJ hangs out with radio and TV celeb Melvin Odoom. We got a live drum and beatbox battle Percy the jungle drummer. Plus, we have an exclusive don't drop MC battle take over this is your Killa Kela Podcast.

It’s live music time


Make some noise for the jungle drummer inside the place. How you feeling darling?

JUNGLE DRUMMER: Great.
KK: How's it been for you today? Have you had a hard journey bringing you bits up here?
JD: Um, no.
KK:  Do you come around you often? Are you from this neck of the woods, Jungle drummer?
JD: I’m from East London, I never go out of East London.
KK: I've heard about this lot they're all from North. where are you guys from? Are you from East London? are you from West London? were you from? London, London, London, London crew. Ladies and gentlemen, will you please make some noise for the awesome Jungle Drummer. inside the place.

KK: Okay listen we're gonna get on this again. So last month we've run a competition to get you the chance to be a part of this awesome audience. Be part of this awesome crew for one night and all expenses spared, hotel, get drunk, have fun and all that. All you've got to do is put your comments down on the Facebook page, you get that happening at random, you'll get their lucky call to say you are the winner, but it's that random so make sure you get yourselves on that comment board. All the age restrictions, everything applies, we shall get into that shortly. You'll have to get here yourself of course but, we get more into that later as loads of competitions to go. Last, three days ago, I was in Los Angeles with a lovely fellow he goes by the name of Aloe Blacc. Aloe Blacc himself from collaborations with Avicii right the way through to God knows who this is his story we're in amoeba record to doing it showing his best tunes he's got, let's go.



KK: We are live and direct Amoeba records with my dog my dog Aloe Blacc, how you feeling?
ALOE BLACC: Really good.
KK: We're gonna we can go through the archives. We'll find some of your favorite artists and what do you have to say about them. 

#1 PRINCE
we've got the ultimate selection right here King legend here what part of this man did you not like.
AB: Well I'll tell you what this is controversial.
KK: Controversial!
AB: The part of Prince that I didn't like was when price did Prince's brand of funk.  It didn't feel right to me but everything else about Prince I like.

#2 Billy Preston
AB: Billy Preston was he's one of my style idols 
KK: Style, idol-ling, 
AB: in terms of music and funk and fun he had.

#3 Teddy Pendergrass. 
AB: Teddy Pendergrass. Yes, a tragic, tragic story

#4 Sly and the Family Stone
AB: Sly and the Family Stone. Fresh, Yes, Sly and the Family Stone. For me, another style icon. so Sly and Billy Preston had some things that they did similar on some of their songs. I try to go back and you can just relive the past and through my headphones, because nowadays there are really good emcees but the beats aren't that great in my opinion compared to what we had in the past. They're still they're energetic and then there's that you can dance to him but they're not really messing with enough different rhythms and enough different tempos everything's really all on the same vibe. 
KK: wanna talk about a box set, Wow.
What’s back there?
AB: Percy Sledge.
KK:  Percy Sledge. When you talk about.
AB: good packaging,
KK: good packaging. Big up Nenah Cherry.
AB: it’s like the second-hand store, it’s like you’re buying a memory. Most of the stuff you buy here you probably already owned once in your life. This is growing up. This is the music.

#5 DE LA SOUL #6 A TRIBE CALLED QUEST 

AB: De La and a Tribe called quest and jungle brothers.
KK: Underrated.
AB: I thought they had their moment. So maybe underrated in England but, here in the states they had their moment. Digital underground.
KK: I’m at Amoeba records with my boy, Aloe Blacc. How was that for ya?
AB: Thank you, wonderful.
KK: we did it! We’re doing it, We out here. Looking at some of the classic material. Back over to you in the studio. Peace.

Yo, what a vibe. big shout out to Aloe Blacc SJ I know you’re in the crowd somewhere were you out darling were you at?


SJ: Hello! What’s up everyone. Hello! Hi guys. I’m with my friend Sonny Green here today hello.
SONNY GREEN: Hello darlin, you alright?
SJ: I’m good and you're a rapper aren’t ya? And you’re gonna have a little battling later, with someone, who you’re battling?
SG: Your mum.
SJ: My mum. You’ve got a song called Your Mum haven’t ya. Can you sing a bit of that for us?
SG: ya, your mum doesn’t like us cos my mates all take drugs and you've been hanging around with the wrong crowd, got YouTube that right now you’ll see that. well after this live show, obviously.
SJ: My Mum doesn’t mind if my friends take drugs.
SG: Nor does mine actually.
SJ: Well yeah, your mum then. so, what else have you been up?
SG: Well I had a battle with Brixton Academy the other day which is kind of hard. Killa Kela was hosting the stage absolutely smashed it and yeah just being living life baby, you know how it is. 
SJ: well we're gonna cut to you later on so that we can watch you battle with someone, so I hope you win I’m in your corner. Back to Kela.


KK: Well, if SJ’s in your corner can only be but a good thing, my brother. Ladies and Gentlemen let's get this first guest in G hit the fucking bar let's go.

Drum ‘N bass royalty in the form of DJ Grooverider is inside the house, on half of the dynamics duo Fabio and Grooverider. We gonna be talking about their legacy food clubland to radio land to culture to the world.


KK: Would you please make some noise for Grooverider. Well, well, well my brother. Yeah, choose any one of them you want, actually go with the blue one, there go. How are you?
GROOVERIDER: Sir slightly stressed by I’m alright brother.
KK: Slightly stressed. I think I know the feeling; I think we all know the feeling after this evening, aren’t we ladies and gentlemen?
GR: I’ve been driving around outside trying to find a parking space man.
KK: Oh, sorry about that Groove that's an occupational hazard though if you're out at night doing the raves.
GR: I'm kind of used to that man you know double yellows always get they look from me.
KK: Gravitate towards it don’t you. So, what’s been going on there I need to get some questions out the way bro because I’ve known you for God knows how long and sometimes the inevitable questions there the last things you ever ask do you know what I mean so just for the audience and the people out there where where did it all begin for groove rider man.
GR: I don’t even remember man and I'm so old I mean. I don’t even remember anymore. I used to go out like anybody else, I’ll be going out since I was 14- 15years old used to sneak out of the house sneak out at my cousin I used to go to the club and you know I still go out  the beat used to be into the dancing jazz funk and stuff at home one time I just went and bought some records and I met some guy some hip-hop guys and we started a sound system called global rhythm.
KK: Global Rhythm.
GR: Yeah probably in about 84 or something like that; so I was  just like you know I'm pissing about you know I trying to get gigs and there’s a little bit different there because you have to carry your own soundsystem of shit so you get to go and hire halls and stuff to get what I'm saying so it's a lot easier now obviously you just carry a USB key.
KK: Those were some backbreaking eras wasn't it.
GR: I've got strong from a young age just put it that way you know and about ’88, ’87 acid house broke through I'll standing in a record shop I was actually buying some hip-hop and I don't know if you remember rebel without a pause.
KK: Course. Of course.
GR:  I was in a record shop called my price in Croydon and I was waiting for it to come in on import heard about his tune and didn’t know anything about what it sounded like, but we just were told to listen to the Bside in the inside track. so I stood in this record shop for about five hours waiting for this tune to come in and I was hearing this music like boom, boom, boom, boom, to go to the geezer jazzy b used to work there not jazzy b,  jazzy m. I don't know if you know jazzy m. I used to work with him exactly he's my godfather but I talked him and was like what kind of music is this.  iIs house music I was like you know what gay people listen to like seriously cos I had no idea because they are used to hearing like I don't know people go back that far as far as me but people used to be under the concept that if you hear house music you. turn gay.
KK: Right
GR: That shit was back then.
KK: How blinded, blinded, man.
GR: That’s rea talk like the Brixton, Streatham you know very homophobic at that time. No understanding gay was gay and if you listen to house music you're going to go gay, right so I'm a fucking bending up my money and yeah from near that's where I go into house music and you know the rest is kind of history .
KK: Which is crazy because when I think at that time as well being extremely you know in my early teens it was hardcore then there was this transition into like jungle, Drum N Bass and. that room two suddenly became the main main arena, did you ever think at any point you were going to escalate as a DJ and become such a forerunner in that genre.
GR: Listen I've got to be totally honest with you, there's never been a year where I thought next year I'm still gonna be deejaying or whatever, year about the assumption that I'm gonna be going back to work next year right this has been going on for for thirty years.
KK: What you are saying on that, I love that. I love that. C’mon. listen everyone knows you and Fabio roll tighter than a virgin stuck in traffic and
GR: Probably not that tight but yeah.
KK: So, do you text each other every day is that what you do.
GR: It's nothing like that you can’t get a hold of Fabio, I'd like to text him every day, but I know I’d never get a reply.
KK: here’s the real scoop. Do you talk to each other?
GR: oh yeah, ya know not every day. I mean like couple of times a week maybe.
KK: you got your own slang. You got your own thing.
GR: I think so. I think so.
KK: yeah, it's like sometimes I've seen these because you know we do our research here at the Killa Kela podcast live show and I’ve seen some of these interviews and your kind of almost finish each other's sentences. You know what I mean?
GR: It’s on another level man, I’ve known that geezer, I’ve known Fabio 35 years. and we've never had an argument and every time I see him, I know it's gonna be jokes, you know I'm saying this has been going on for 35 years and you know. It’s like he's got a girlfriend.
KK: well here's the thing, I mean this is an all-consuming culture isn’t it and you know you're traveling here there and everywhere where where do you actually I mean you've done so much of it as well where do you actually find time to have you know your own your own life you know I mean where do you because I know you as going out three times a week or more.
GR: I mean you have to juggle man you know what I’m saying. I don’t listen to too much music when I'm at home only when I'm in the studio, just to the fact, I walk clear my ears out and try and experience other sounds other than just music you get what I’m saying.  because right it could be too much.
KK: So, what’s outside jungle and and you know.
GR: Maybe anything on the radio pretty much yeah, I mean like it's gotta be dance music obviously because I can’t stand anything else.
KK: I was gonna say there must be there must be a real kind of code, like humble like you must be thinking of down like that break, all these sorts of things that coming on the radio, you you guys I mean am I right they pioneered that shit they made that shit exactly what's going on the radio today .
GR: Well yeah, I did yeah.
KK: Yeah, he did. He fucking did. you know and what radio stations you doing what’s popping at the moment.
GR: We are doing Rinse at the moment.
KK: Rinse.
GR: Yeah, Rinse. Rinse we do a monthly show like first Monday of every month first so we just kind of chill with that right now.
KK: and you go you still do the clubs exactly exactly as.
GR: Yeah, it’s business as usual. I’m blessed and I've been fortunate to be around so long and try my trade and do what I love doing.
KK: Yeah, the king of jungle the mighty Grooverider inside the place, well we do have a friend that's inside as well every good close friend of yours. Am I right in thinking you guys have been around together for a while?
GR: depends who you are talking about you talking about.
KK: well I happened to be talking about and can ask you a question? can I ask you a question? would you mind if I asked you a question.
GR: Well you asked me so already so yeah fire away.
KK: This shit popped off in Dubai.
GR: Yeah go on.
KK: Yeah, can I talk about that?
GR: Yeah, you can talk about it. it's not even a big deal.
KK: Well what's your feelings towards going over there now that that happened.
GR:  Well I’m not going back obviously.
KK: What so on that note what is the worst place you've ever played.
GR: well I've never got to play, I tell you what happened, I went to Amsterdam the week before I went to Dubai. so yeah we smoked weed you know, we go to Amsterdam you smoked a bit of weed. but you know I was like when I went to Dubai.  I was supposed to go for the night took all my weed out and had no weed on me, went to the airport through got to Dubai. Geezer pulled me over. I’m like yeah what’s up. He’s like I wanna search you. So I'm like yeah I said no problem, yeah go right ahead, so he's going through my bag going from my bags, can't find anything then he started empty my pockets, right. I had like zero point zero two grams of weed on me you know what that is?
Audience: fuck all.
KK: Right, right it's dust it's not something I could even smoke it was just a weed that was at the bottom of my trousers and that’s what I thought so I went to Dubai for the night and came home ten months later.
KK: What was it like, what was it like?
GR: It was jail bro. you couldn't go home that's all you need to know but it wasn’t .
KK: meanwhile we were on the other side of the pond, we were signing petitions, putting money in signing petitions.
GR: I mean, I thank everybody for like, you know showing love at that point man that's cos you know what it wasn’t even a lower, it wasn't even that low, it was a low point but you know what I wasn’t gonna stress over it, maybe was gonna go at some point just have to hold strong, I made a lot of friends in there I was even in there with some princes of Dubai and shit that's a fact actually is over there was it to one of them was in jail as well.
KK: Just madness, madness and arguably that's like the most rock'n'roll thing that could ever happen to it to a DJ surely. That’s a huge price.
GR: I don’t know if I’d call it rock and roll. I mean. 
KK: Well, what’s the most rock and roll thing you've ever done.
GR: Um, I don’t know DJ I suppose.

KK: Can’t get more rock n roll than that. Mighty Grooverider inside the place. Well as promised as promised and referred to earlier we do have a good friend of grooves inside the place heroes by the name of terry stone G run that thing.

Let's open the doors to jungle and clubland history further with actor. author Club promoter and more. we're here to chat about his new doc United Nations climbing up the charts. we're gonna get deep into the jungle origins.


KK: Would you make some noise for the mighty Terry Stone. wow come here how are you brother.is this mic on can you put his mic on please. okayed go gives him that no try that one there try grooves one we're clearly having a technical difficulty. That’s better yes here he is Terry Snow. inside to place ladies and gentlemen yeah see that's another rock and roll moment coming from the  live show that you just don't get on those normal terrestrial television shows isn't I right let's tell us about yourself young man because I tell you what there’s plenty of people out there that need to know about you where did it all begin Terry what you up to .
TERRY STONE: well I started off as a raver in 88 or whatever in so obviously back in the Day I sort of jumping around a field in Stern's. Listening to Fabio andHgroove. Cole Cox and you know all the guys and then I started giving out flyers. Then I started selling tickets, then I did a magazine and I just thought one day I'll put a rave on and I was like 19 so you know everybody around must have what I was on drugs because.
KK: 19?
TS: Yeah, yes,yep so I was I actually started properly promoting in 93.
KK: It's incredible.
TS: yeah and then and you know I was like in the 20s running clubs in a world. I meant was mad yeah well well booth was being a rock star be on a date, so I was being the rock star.
KK: Lavish, the lavish life that you can only imagine consists of.
TS: not too many parties in Dubai though. Not many parties in Dubai.
KK: that well let’s go back a little bit because for those who don't know Terry has released a new new documentary and shall we unleash the beast, on this one yeah baby let's get the first one I’m pleased G have a look at this

Schultz have been meeting today to discuss ways of stopping the illegal parties. the main thing that made people excited to make people want to go out to these illegal dance parties was the simple fact that they were doing something that was illegal. It was kind of a little bit like the Wild West. It would be secret raves so no one knew where it was going to be just rule the country they used to then find the warehouse break the padlock or go in there another rave. In those days no one had a mobile phone but you'd see 30 people hanging outside all one phone box and then you go down the road another phone box, 50 people up all waiting to find out it's gonna let off the address at nine o'clock ringing keep ringing that’s engaged bring back bring back the yeah he's in Colchester let's go.

KK:  That’s that’s my friends is the United Nation documentary, that has been put together has been put together and he's like number three number one where is it?
TS: no, no  it was I mean it's pretty amazing really we it come out on Friday, so we had the premiere the world premiere on the set of the Saturdays the 15th of  Feb.  and what was great was we had a lot of the artists from the scene partying, so you saw you had like 250 celebrities, you had some raver's there and then you add the who’s who of the scene. Obviously, a few the artists come said was playing away or that was out of country but it's quite funny because you could see the ravers in there like. I’m sure that Kenny Ken. I swear that’s MC deck.
KK: so, where is it  on?
TS: No so it was a premiere yeah and then what we did what we’ve done this week is we've done a selected tour of UK cinemas. So what we've done is screen a movie and we've done like a Q&A with the artists so Fabio and Grooverider. one tomorrow with me a in Stratford and then Boise’s doing one tonight we've had you know everybody you know Foster's done it. you know we're in Scotland, Liverpool and all the screens have been sold out.
KK: That’s amazing,
TS: and when it was released on the Friday it went straight a number one so it’s another one.
KK:  straight to number fucking one.
TS: that's how we do it baby.
KK: did did you ever think me, did you ever think that it would go that big? 
TS: K, right what annoyed me, I actually got annoyed. because I thought this scenes been gone three decades right? it’s important, right So I thought you know this this this needs to be watched, right Somebody gotta do a documentary about it and when I run a lot of dishes up they were like going on every fucking year, someone saying oh yeah I'm doing a definitive, Drum ‘N  Bass documentary and to be honest, they've all been shit and I’m not being disrespectful to anybody who’s made one because it's good, they’ve done it but if you actually look at them they’re just people talking, there's no real substance to it. but with this what’s great is you've got the DJ’s talking about experience, the stories you don't know about and how much they enjoyed the scene and everyone let's watch the film said I’m glad someone's fresh said to me they are finally done it, he said it’s about time someone did this.
KK: there's so many guests on there as well.
TS: everybody’s everybody.
KK: can we look at another there's actually a couple of key funny moments.
TS: can you showed a good one cos the last one wasn’t that good.
KK: wasn’t that good ,was that that was my childhood that was my friend. G run the next clip

Someone famous arriving any minute now I'm here we won't we won’t reveal it to anybody.
Who’s this? any idea must be someone famous is it your dream come true Terry? Well I’ll be blowed. 
I was filming all night for Terry and the said the Queen was turning up at his event. I couldn’t even tell if he was serious. Like the queen? Doing her bit for them, driving by. but could have. all the ravers you know t that you know they will believe this is the Queen. Yeah, yeah when the queen come that was nice.
evening your majesty. She’s heard so much about on nation she had to come and have a look.
You will enjoy. And how many promoters would have the Queen turn up in a rolls Royce course it's two o’clock in the morning and take the gamble of turning the rave off so she could have a turn on the mic. yeah I've only come to check the place out because I've heard that will having a banging night here.
do you remember the crowd is going absolutely nuts when it looked like the Queen, the real Queen had come by. and all those puffed up, fucked up fucking guys tipping they're gonna have to go on stage at the same time the Queen, come out I'll think you to myself my good do I smell? I’m gonna start laughing or cussing. I don't know which one to do so I'm just gonna start to shut the fuck up. I have big respect for all that is one nation.

KK: I mean It just looks like.
TS: I've just I don’t wanna be big in or anything but I’m the only promote that ever had the royal stamp of approval.
KK: I mean this is golden and within the show so much so much variety in terms of funny moments like but what another bit that sticks out to me is FatMan D who was actually.
TS: DJ Fatman D.
KK: yeah yeah so so tell us about how this went down because on the flyer instead of putting fat Mand you put fat Mandy.
TS:  yeah, but basically I used to call him fat Mandy. and then I just thought you know he's always whinging and fucking moaning, no way so I just thought just for a laugh I'm gonna put MC Fat Mandy on the fliee. it was a deliberate thing obviously I pretended that I it was this typo. it was so funny because I had ringing me up DJ's crying on the phone. I can’t believe you’ve done it. I mean it was funny and and the thing is I mean we should put up a hundred thousand fliers so a hundred thousand people.
KK: a modern-day text.
TS: Everywhere when he got abused but it was funny, because he actually did say to me the other day, I said I said oh we shared this clip and he’s like your funny tell. Tell me that’s not in film. And I was like it’s in the film Bruv. 
KK: I’m telling you man.
TS: It’s in the film. 
KK: but Groove, Groove baby maybe maybe you could add value to this right because there is a serious side to certain parts of the film, there was a period where jungle became more had more emphasis on the emcees and then and then it got scary the clubs got more dangerous and there was a lot of gunfire lot of you know accidents and in trouble right.
GR: I never saw any of that.
KK: that's not what this documentary suggests Mr. Grooverider.
GR: that’s part of the scene, I think what happened was it blew up and then I think you you at the undesirables this and I’ll actually if we go there is five thousand people we can have an earner and then when they come they obviously met resistance and then you know there was regularly you know violence I mean it just happened you know.
KK: scary times bro, scary time. and look you know through all the tiles and tribulations look what's been created you guys have been the fore, forerunners of a of an of a commodity of a culture of a scene of something that is truly British surpassing predecessors,  like punk and long may it fucking continue guys seriously fucking great work. so, so before we leave where can we see this amazing documentary right now tony.
TS: okay well if you don't there's only one more screening at Stratford tomorrow at the picture house we're Fabio, groove and myself we'll be there and we'll be talking about documentary afterwards but it’s on it's on iTunes it's on Amazon on sky on virgin on BT on Google  every digital platform part from Netflix but that be later.
KK: Awesome, Netflix watch your tail they're coming for you ladies and gentlemen would you please make some noise for Terry Stone of me to the mighty Grooverider.
Bruv, it's it's a fucking beautiful thing and on that now let's go look at some beautiful things a good friend of mine goes by the name of Dr. Noki, he's a mash-up street artist,slash fashion designer and he's an anarchist in the culture of mashup urban street wear. we were there for a launch of an exhibition he's got going on so without further ado run that shit g.


KK: so, Nicki Minaj, Naomi Campbell, Lady Gaga, Killa Kels we’re on in the building with my guy Noki NHS tell us a bit about this my brother.
DR NOKI NHS: it's our show put together by Anastasiya Russian girl who's been obsessed by branding obsessed with the whole idea of bootlegging and she's like you know you're one of the first bootlegger a back in the days. you are doing a different way to the kids now so would you put on the show, so I came up with the for sustainable skins made in Brexit by Noki as a reaction to the new addiction online with the skins and the avatars and the kids spending for tunes and it’s now all over the news they said.
KK: Let’s talk about this piece for example not like the explain this.
NOKI: I've cut in a section cut, from another sweatshirt, added a sweatshirt but then I've used the night kick to smash through and I’ll like in the graffiti sense you know write it through so that the words are left is the each company and so you end up with our safe sex campaign as well.
KK: but that then is crazy this is a whole heap of.
NOKI: This is its kind of the cat and mouse the finger brand does to us is chasing, chasing, chasing.
KK: these when you understand this is an art piece this isn't like you going wear there's different levels in which Noki likes to work right.
NOKI: I’m a textile artist and I make wearable art. I want you to be my muse that where consumer.
KK: Everyone loves vintage now and the prices are like soaring like you cutting up these sorts of vintage pieces and then looking at the price compared to like back in the day how does that sit with you
NOKI: oh when, I worked with MTV, I was in the rag yards. all the time you'd find boxes of Metallica's and Nikes and its worth a fortune now.
KK: so, you never worried for a second about the value of something neve.
NOKI: never.
KK: so, if something came into your hands.
NOKI:  and I wanted to up the volume, change the brand complelty.
KK: give away a t-shirt right now. yeah you want to fuck with it. Get busy with that.
NOKI: so back in the days. It’s a thing now but. I used to dumb it down.  Basically, use it as a potato print and I would just a geometric shape. X in. its following a pattern but I just do this and it used to make me feel like that was part about process that the manufacturing of fashion so that’s your mobile phones banging the eyes I would target and back in the days when the rave is one love. It’s a one love tee.
KK: pow, pow, pow.



He is the original disrupter but also you know about sustainability before anybody knew what the word was.


Actually, I mean no not only is it recycle it is you know the whole concept of the work is just kind of brilliant.


Probably the first and most organic designer why because um right now you might learn about sustainability check the sustainability is going on here.

KK: Okay, that's your live you don't know about the mash-up bootleg business you do know. courtesy of my boy Dr. Noki,  on that note let's get this let's get this up this is the competition piece now to win this one off limited edition, Dr.Noki is giving me a question to ask you trend-wise what's the craziest thing you’ve ever consumed. I say it again before get run over, trend-wise what’s the craziest thing you've ever consumed answers on the comments, below and the best one will receive the t-shirt in the post. c we are like in was out of fashion ok see on the other side back to the studio, peace.
Big up my boy dr.noki now as you notice in that VT there he gave you a competition trend-wise what’s the craziest things you've ever consumed I had that t-shirt it’s available to give away alright so without doubt get on that comments and make your craziest craziest thing possible on this comments right now and but meanwhile we are over in the crowd. SJ how you are feeling babe.


SJ: I’m feeling great. HI. C’mon is everyone feeling great. Um, we’ve got Chris here again. He’s the Jungle drummer. you might see him earlier.  I hope you saw him earlier he’s an amazing drummer and fucking hell let's see some more do you mind. 
JD: My fee’s going up.
come on you Chris.
SJ: I told him he had to an active smile as well to the camera. Can you do a smile for us.
No? maybe you can do some drums instead. all right.
KK: do it.
SJ: okay, we wanna see this c’mon. it’s gotta be loud innit. oh yeah no, this one. Thank you.

KK: see, street level yeah doing it for the people yeah Oxford Circus. Ladies and Gentlemen make some some noise of the jungle drummer and SJ.  So I had to privilege I had the privilege last, two weeks ago to have time around my house for a good chat and yeah you know just a casual one and while we were there we got his top 10 tunes of all-time do you guys want to hear Todd Terry's top 10. Tunes. Run that shit.

TODD TERRY: Todd Terry, in house record. records freeze records terminator records you know all that jazz. I gotta tell you my top 10 records so we’re gonna do my funky 5.



First check it out James Brown sex machine need I say more clap your hands stomp your feet now this is the record that really got me into like break dancing.


Next record up is Quincy Jones that you wouldn't hurt me and something about those sounds in that record you gotta dance. you got to do your disco dance for you powder on the floor now loft this.


Next one up is D train, keep on D train, really taught me how to one sing and one advance to the music and feel the essence of the keyboard the synthesizes and stuff like that which is funky drum machine funky. Just gave you a little bit more.



Next up homegirl Joyce Sims all in all. when I first got signed to sleeping bagall in all was the number one record. So, if Joyce Sims walked in the place everyone his another the table.




Hip-hop, hip-hop house and some club. one of my biggest favorites was black ivory. Mainline.  Leroy Burgess need I say more harmonies melodies, definitely one old-school funky funky house funky no let’s call it funky disco house whatever back to the day slow down and really good now.



My next up Marshall Jefferson move your body this record is what really and what a how how I learned about house music. I didn’t really know like house, my friend brought me a cassette my can of sample things, I don't really know what's going on I found that later and I was oh I hope this guy aint made at me.  Finally met him and he was mad cool about it. Much respect for Marshall Jefferson.
Cece Peniston finally, to see in how video on the TV you had to dance, you couldn’t stop dancing. You had stepping step.


Next up one of my favorite favorite favorites Eddie grant, Electric Avenue. 
I've been trying to make this record for 30 years I just want to make that record.  if I could make that record that would be my respect. Mad respect. Eddie grant. If I run into you smoke a blunt something.




Jungle brothers outhouse because I got pick one of mine me Phil, Mike ,Tony D the basement you know everybody was down there Houdini dynasty and me me choice emcees a Slick Rick ,Dougie fresh everybody was in Tony D’s basement and that's how we made that record that record is full of funk.
 No matter how you hear it see it was funky down.



My last but not least everything about the girl missing one of my best remixes ever song was great made my life easy made me a success. that's Todd Terry that's been my top ten.

KK: what an awesome audience you guy are. Big up Todd Terry of course see I told you. It’s that house, drum and bass. Evening all right. who all right without further ado let's get the next guest in G.?

Throwing it back into the world of the vocalist’s old house singer and chart topper Karen Harding is jumping into the hot seat with the release of a new single rely, we’re talking dance music song writing performing live and more


KK: yo Karen Harding inside the ride.
KAREN HARDING: Hi ya.
KK: Hi ya. How are you?
KH: I'm good how are youyeah enjoying watching the show.
KK: Yeah you can kind of chill and you knows people doing stuff and loads of people up you came at the beginning which I really, I love it when guests come at the start, I love it.
KH: I'm never late just because I just can’t be bothered with the stress it's too much.
KK: It is stressful isn't it?
KH: where have you traveled from; I came from Slough.
KK: Slough
KH: yeah don't ask why Slough everybody does don't ask why slough.
KK: yeah, yeah, no, no I get that, I get it, I get it, get it. but you know we I know you from the chart-topping hits we all know the songs that are played on the radio you are part of that machine mechanics behind that but where did it or where did it all begin for you in the house world and your music and song writing where did it start from.
KH: I guess I kind of started because I was putting stuff up online, I’m originally from Newcastle I was doing like a lot of gigs and stuff just uploading and videos and things and I got discovered by a guy called MNEK he found me  on YouTube asked do you want to come down London did a few sessions and actually we wrote the first single say something from one of those sessions I had it for like maybe just under two years actually and then somebody played it in a mini mix on radio one didn't tell me about it and then it was out and yeah yeah.
KK: Nuclear explosion tell me what it's like working with MNEK like cos I fucking love MNEK.
KH: I don’t know who doesn’t. he is just so talented I couldn't believe how quick he works but also even now like we worked like I don’t know 2013, you know he's been working with like Beyoncé like everybody.
KK: do you walk into those situations and think omg.
KH: well at  the time I didn’t when we had that session where wrote say something Little Mix were actually leaving the building and I was like hang on like I’m just Karen like this is so weird to me but you know I guess that kind of was just me it made me more inspires it to create something good you know.
KK: That’s what drives you right. you right yeah but then you know it didn’t stop there because you found wings and you ain't you went ham. I mean like I’m looking here like I mean I didn't know about Eurovision but x-factor as well. like you know you're faced with these crazy obstacles you know I guess you just build your armor up as you go along right which is mad.
KH: I think you have to if you don't feel the rejection, then then there's absolutely, no point in doing it like if you haven't had that before, many times even the ones that people don't know about then if you can’t get through, that then you maybe should question it but I think I think they’re like everyone in this room you know everyone in  this creative and we all have experienced bad rejection and just got on with it you know.
KK: Yeah, yeah, yeah totally and a lot of these people that are in the room are fiercely creative as well a lot people that are watching. 
KH: you can tell.
KK:  We get with it, yeah what are you doing here a midweek you know I mean this fight is only just beginning do you know what I mean. but yeah did you ever feel like you wanted to you know quit it all at any point at any given point in those.
KH: I don't know, I think you question your ability sometimes, yeah this song, there’s so much competition but it's not even competition because we're not really in competition it's just about creating something that you're happy with and putting out but I think sometimes, yeah you do question it and you’re like am I good enough for this blah blah blah but then yeah then something amazing happens after having I don’t know  10 shit sessions and then like one is just magical.
KK: and I always ask people this question is that a batting average, like if you were to go into a room and like you know you had a bunch of demos like what's the batting average of of a tune going gold out of five KH: not very many, I’d say out of 100 there’s probably one one that’s really good you know but it just depends, I don't know, I write for like like to write for other people, too so it’s just all just whatever comes out of the room. really yes you're putting us, you’re putting us in an environment where you with complete strangers no idea what's gonna come out of it you got no idea if you're gonna just dislike these people or whatever or just not be connected so yeah like you're lucky if you get a connection and something good comes out of the room I would say.
KK: I think you're right so what is the hothouse system what is that what is that thing?
KH: hot house?
KK: yeah cos  here like it says because you're somewhere to use the term hot house system to write songs for you and others is there a system in place that you work.
KH: okay so I guess for me I send out a lot of acapellas just that you know I freely created home just like ad-lib tracks ,just know me messing about at home just doing stuff like that.
KK: so that's what it called?
KH: that’s what I do but I'm not sure about if that’s a thing or not, but then I get sent a lot of tracks too and just vibe off of them too.
KK: if that's a thing and your new tune Rely came out yeah and so with this batting average and all these different things going off in the studio is that with a view to putting out an EP is that the plan?
KH: yeah, yeah definitely we’ve been working on some, really good stuff really good, house music that I’m super excited about and some cool features, it must be really crazy because when you fit into a genre and it works so well but then you like talking to the guys today like the caliber of house as a genre.  it defies generations. Do you know what I mean?  did you ever think you would be so involved in that in that genre as a commercial route to market?
KH: honestly not at all.
KK: that mad.
KH: not at all. I was I just love to sing and I love to perform and I was really I'm even a session for say something I said to MNEK I said you got to sing this because I can’t sing it like on the chorus when I they say…naaa I couldn’t do it.
KK: when its like what? say again? When it’s like what?
KH: when it’s like…I’m not doing it again. I can only do it once every now and then. 
KK: I don’t believe you. Do you fancy doing a song? Do you fancy doing something?
KH: ah cheeky cheeky.
KK: what what’s your favorite song what do you like singing?
KH: I love singing anything man. Absolutely anything.
KK: okay what you fancy what's your favorite song out there? 
KH: it you know asking someone what the favorite song is.
KK: okay do you song.
KH: I’m not gonna do my song I'm gonna sing you a song that I love.
KK: go on then.
KH: That I wish that I wrote.
KK: beautiful who wants to hear a song she wishes she wrote.
KH: I know my managers would be like you should have of sang your own song, but I don't care.
KK: I'll do the best for you what is it? yeah, we're fucking with that.  are you guys ready?

KK: Make some noise. Karen Harding inside the place. thank you so much for coming through. 
KH: thanks, so much for having us down. 
KK: what's the future what else is it an EP are we expecting?
KH: so, the single just came out last week working on some more singles towards an EP hopefully by the end of the year. Yeah so just keep tuned in on the socials I am very very active.
KK: that's right very very much active.e would you please ladies and gentlemen make some noise thank you so much darling, Karen Harding inside the ride. and Rely is out now in the stores you know what it does. okay so without further ado last week SJ was out on the town again. Norm why aren't you ever in an out on the town? Norm? What happened norm? oh oh would you make some noise for Mr. Normski inside the house. how are you feeling.
NORMSKI: I'm good thank you very much, I'm feeling rather good. welcome to the show everybody. it’s nice to see you all here. thank you for coming.
KK: That’s righ,t that's right and you ‘rel ooking very dapper as well today sir.
N: yeah, I see you know it's one of those days Kela, thought I work it out.
KK: you’re working it well.
N: only a couple of outfits for your show.
KK: tell me about it mate.  listen without further ado we're going to talk over there at a table in a minute but without further ado our SJ went out to play a game of mini crazy golf with Melvin Odoom without further ado run that shit G.



MELVIN OODOM: How you doing?
SJ: I’m good, how are you? Are you excited to play crazy golf?
MO: I'm ready are you ready though?
SJ: I got our hats, our visors. Here’s your club.
MO:  thank you very much. Let’s start this game. So, Ladies first swingers is one of my favorite crazy golf spots not that I’m any good at it I feel like so nervous right now.
SJ: what doing this shot? YESSS. So, what was it that you were into?
MO: I listen to all music. growing up would say just a lot of like, R&B in hip-hop, yeah obviously like the 90s were a big thing when I was growing up so stuff like wu-tang biggie 2pac SWVJodecithat was my shizzle that's my shit so that’s how I kind of got into it and then I used to listen to a lot of like Trevor Nelson on radio 1 Rhythm Nation but I love jazz I love Indie I love house a bit of everything. 
SJ: So many like mainstream television shows so was that like a conscious decision or.
MO: so, if I'm completely honest so as a kid I wanted to be Michael Jackson.
SJ: I know I read that about you.
MO: I'm remember being at  like a kids party with my family and my cousin's like playing a few games and I just started telling jokes so I think even back then I like the idea of like entertaining and making the masses happy so that's probably where I kind of felt like the mainstream sector was my thing. then I realize I can’t sing and I can't dance so the whole Michael Jackson thing was out of the question, so I thought presenting like the next best thing .and so that’s kind of how I fell into it but even once I got my degree and then moved back home my Mum was like quite a strict like woman from West Africa and you knowing her generation like a young black male trying to get into the industry was a hard thing there was only a few blackfaces on the TV screen at that point so she was like go out there and get a proper job go work in a bank or something like that .
SJ: Big up Melvin’s Mum.
MO: Yeah, big up my mum. each and every time but I think for her it was hard to see like that progression from going to Uni to becoming like a presenter on TV or on radio and it wasn’t until I remember I got my first paycheck at kiss it's just like okay this radio thing can work well once you started getting the money and see the pay checks coming through then she was happy.
SJ: what do you think of the music industry and like where it's at in the moment how do you think it's all going?
MO: I think it’s all  about online now and digital they control everything yeah I think it's an exciting time because I think back in the day it was all about being signed to labels and being part of a label and I think now it's you're a great artist and you’re in your bedroom and you upload something and it gets heat you can basically grow your audience in your in your bedroom if we take someone like Stormzy as an example I would have never in a million years imagined a kid from South London doing grime music headlining Glastonbury. That’s a sign of the times for me.
SJ: in 2020 you know who we should look out for is there anyone that's come on your show that you think actually they're gonna be like massive.
MO: I think two weeks ago we had me honcho on who he's a drill artist and melodically he sounds amazing lyrically he’s on point I love his work ethic we had Bugsy Malone in the other day he sits. We’ve had stormzy in before if you are on our show then you're worthless into it and you're worth celebrating.
SJ: thank you so for meeting with me today and this little chat.
MO: did I win?
SJ: no.
MO: oh ok.
SJ: so, I think the cocktails on you.
MO: what 2 pound 50 how much are they? is it two for the price of one happy hour?
SJ: uh we can check.
MO: alright. Cool cool.
SJ:  that was super fun we went to swingers me and Melvin and we're up to it we had the greatest time I beat him that was playgoing to happen but now we're going back to studio with Kela.


KK: oh, they were are. That’s the one. how was that for you SJ, did you enjoy yourself?
SJ: oh, it was so much fun. We played golf. I totally smashed it, Melvin lost, he was pretty shit to be fair.
KK: Swinging batting average. I see you swinging all sorts of things girl c’mon.
SJ: it was good.
KK: honestly though it's you know it’s one of those experiences that you only have to share with someone who’s having a really good time and it looks like you had a good time.
SJ: I want to-do more VT's where I do like silly stuff with people, so you know put suggestions in the box back of postcard. All of that stuff.
KK: yeah get yourself yourself why don't you fuck pack. You know what I mean.  SJ just let me just pass the mic over to norm here because I'll tell you what. can norm sit cause
N: Hello.
KK: what do you want to do?
N: not it’s all right. Stay where you are. Stay where you are.
KK: because I'll tell you why we’ve got a very special guest inside the place and I know Norm is a big fan as much as I am so with thought we’d tag team you. his is DJ Rap inside the place how are you feeling darling.
DJ RAP: I am happy to be here Kela, what’s up?
KK: I’m good, I’m good. It feels like it’s been ages. You just don't age do ya.
DJ RAP: vampire.
N: Vampire.
DJ RAP: I haven’t seen this guy for like 25 years. 
N: well I'm just trying to work out what it was that we first met but let's not go back that far but you’ve been away for that like 20 years.
DJ RAP: 20 years.
N: it’s not 20 years is it?
DJ RAP: yeah it is.
N: did you go to America 20 years ago.
DJ RAP: yeah.
KK: Hold on Can I just. How come you went to America? What happened? Cos we all know you as the pioneer drama-based jungle DJ from back in a day.
N: First Lady of jungle.
KK: first lady of Jungle, ladies and gentlemen. And it just for me it’s incredible the fact that you went out there and a fledgling scene. That’s incredible. Incredible you went out and did that thing.
DJ RAP: it was.
N: What was it like?
DJ RAP: So, I’m just thinking the insanity of it and just coming back here. It’s just brilliant.
N: it was a boy’s world. A boy’s world. What was it like, babes?
DJ RAP: Firstly, I’m not the only lady, there was loads of wonderful female DJs. In the scene. I just want to say that. but I moved over there because I signed a record deal with Sony, I sold my soul to the devil it was good I got to explore everything musically and I got to do all kinds of stuff I wouldn’t have done you know work with people that I'd never would have had the opportunity so it was amazing.
KK: and you know the most awesome thing about you as an artist and  DJ.
DJ RAP: do tell.
KK: is well because. Let me explain. Let me Explain. like this whole show today has been based around clubland, dance and drum n bass and jungle which is something that it's very close to mine and everybody else's heart inside the right but my might add your so your multi-skilled on on both levels and you do both genres which not a lot of other artist do.
DJ RAP: well that I think that was pretty confusing to a lot of people initially but now when you look back everyone’s playing everything and a mash part of everything right for me production is production so I love house techno pop I like all of it you know some music obviously a feel more than others but the thing about Drum & Bass it's that production is such a head fuck  and I love it.
KK: Me and him, me and him you know have battles about drum & bass. He’s a drum & bass head all day. Aren’t your norm. 
N: I just like beats but I think you’re right because you know you touch on it you can't really sort of just tag people down to what you are or what you are because they're all kind of connected aren’t they.
DJ RAP: that's right.
N: you know hip-hop breaks you know turned into stretched out drum and bass and just squeeze it up a bit of turns into house but it's all music.
DJ RAP: it is all music it's a universal language that's the first thing you hear in the womb heartbeat fall to the floor straight away so yeah for me I'm just excited by all aspects of music and the business side of it - and love that.
KK: it’s fun isn’t it?
DJ RAP: it well will be tomorrow when my record comes out, I'm doing the label at 6:00 in the morning with no sleep. shameless plug.
KK: make that announcement right now cuz this you’re the last guests before we go live, we got some live so please announce that.
DJ RAP: yeah thank you well my it's Back to the Future series and what I'm doing is remix in some of the classics but with the modern twist and getting great new up-and-coming artists to remix them as well and just shining a light on other people as well as the music and bring it back because people love that jungle flavor they really want to see that brought back but with the modern productions.
KK: Its mad isn’t it how infectious it is.
DJ RAP:  It is is so it's good the music’s so good and when I came back, I think was Fabio he called me about three years ago and we were having a chat and he’s like yo gotta come back. you know the gotta come back you know.  the music is just like kind of what you guys were making but with this modern flavor and so I came back and I thought I’ll just rave for a year and just check it out and I said a hospital records rave and I find myself at my older age dancing on a podium to metric, tears streaming down my face loving it going, oh my god I'm still in love with this I've got to get back in and I've just gotta get my head back in the game and just do this again and I’ve been in love with it ever since.
KK: I think we’ve all been there man. Make some noise for that. We’ve all been there. We’ve all been there.] if it wasn't for this right here, I don’t know what the fuck I would be doing you know what I mean you gotta find your lane.
N:  I know what you’d be doing.  You’d be on stage beatboxing to thousands of people.  Pop star beatboxer.
KK: well we kind of are. We are in a thousand area. On Facebook. You work, you work on a bunch of different levels now you know it's a new era new what's been like going back to the old tunes and then reinventing them for 2020.
DJ RAP: well it's not as easy to remake something that was great and then hope that the remakes is better or at least does it justice it's really tricky actually so yeah but doing the intelligent woman remixes which is the one that's what it was its a responsibility because it's like I tell people to be like yeah but the originals but you know so it is definitely work but it's fun it fun to challenge.
N: about 30 years ago, it was over 30 years I met ya. She’s dancing around with smiler. Maxine atmosphere still.  Not just a G. the OG. DJ Rap. The original OG.  You need to make some fucking noise.
KK: make some noise for DJ RAP.  Make some noise for Mista Normski as well.  And the mighty SJ inside. right thank you darling DJ RAP. now without further ado is time it's time for the finale I said it’s time for the finale. it's time for the finale. would you please make some noise some noise for a don't flop trilogy? 
How are we?

EURGH:  what you saying?
KK: how you feeling? You are feeling good.
E:  I’m feeling good man. 
KK: we are feeling good.
E: yeah, I’m feeling good man it's been a good night. Love the singing and all the music.
KK: right you guys feeling good we were we ready to do some battling us let’s show them how we do it in don’t flop world huh.
E: We need a mic. And DK.
KK: where’s DK at?
E: make some noise some DK.
KK: DK In the house. 
SONNY: she's about to show you how it's done man. 
KK: so, this is some battle time right now we’re really going battle time okay let’s all stir well everybody everybody takes a few steps forward we're gonna get into the battle area.  Everyone right into the battle arena.
E:  we're gonna get sunny on on your right and then DK on your left there you go.
KK: this is how we do it.
E: we go straight into this.
KK: let’s do it.
E: here coincidence dip yo MC on my right side we got sonny green make some noise, MC on my left-hand side we got DK make some noise. we've got Killa Kela and a beatbox make some noise this house gonna work, no real bars 100% freestyle off the top of the head four bars for four bars likesome old-school Street cypher shit Sonny Green four bars kick off bro let's go .


S: yo mad DK nuff love man she said give up a DK in the house.

KK: would you make some noise a Sonny Green DK and the Mighty Eurgh don't flop crew.
E: love freedom.


KK: Wow Wow and that's kind of it I think we've come to the end of the road although I can’t let go it's so natural you belong to me; I belong to you. yeah well come forward everyone step forward everyone get on this stage right now we're going to say goodbye. hey, watch the cables everyone watches the cables don't to the cable’s guys go on say goodbye come on everyone if you’re outside looking in get on in with a grin. come gang gotta do the crew thing cos these guys these are our friends they come through it every month they come through every month on a special guest big shadow Karen Harding and big shout to the don't flop group big shout out to Eurgh. Big shout out to groove groove ride ra big shout to terry stone touch harry Aloe Blacc jungle drummer. wow wow wow we were make some noise thank you very much south boys, mc trip.  Mr. normski SJ normski get over here without furtherado it's been another month next monthit's gonna be raucous don't forget toget yourself something comments to win atrip to be here next month in theaudience thank you so much for having usguys. PEAAAAAAACE.  ck yeah give me that keep it out keep it up listen you guys get yourself some photos on this stage round we're going to be here packing down soon. get yourselves on this stage yeah thank you so so much for coming through guys thank you so much you guys have been awesom